[Simh] KS10 IMP documentation

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Mon Feb 29 12:59:31 EST 2016

On 29-Feb-16 12:43, Cory Smelosky wrote:
> [inline]
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 29, 2016, at 09:33, Timothe Litt <litt at ieee.org
> <mailto:litt at ieee.org>> wrote:
>
>> On 29-Feb-16 12:34, b4 at gewt.net wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Can anyone point me at IMP documentation for the KS10? I'm only
>>> seeing AN10 maintenance printsets up on Bitsavers...I'd love
>>> documentation that isn't KLH10's KS10-ITS implementation!
>>>
>>> Alternatively, were any of the experimental Ethernet interfaces ever
>>> supported in TOPS-10/20 on the KS10? (I don't have access to my
>>> SRI-NIC packs due to the VM being down at present)
>>>
>>> Alternatively too...the userland ANF-10 bridge could prove useful
>>> for this...
>>>
>> Not clear what you want to do.
>
> Sorry - this is KS10 FPGA-related, too early in the morning ;)
>

>> The KS does have an ARPA interface, the AN22.  I have not tracked
>> down a spec for it.  It is KMC-11 based, not simulated by SimH at
>> present.  The TOPS-20 monitor sources for 4.1 are a resource.  One
>> day I'll get access to my stuff at CHM and will look for a spec.
>> It's on my list to see if it's worth emulating.
>
> That right there is immensely useful. KMC stuff already needs
> implemented for DECnet.

I implemented the KDP (Mark contributed most of the DUP), but the KMC
emulation is specific to the COMM-IOP (DDCMP) microcode.  It doesn't
execute the microcode - it's a higher-level implementation.  The DUP
talks DDCMP in a TCP connection, and only understands DDCMP - not the
other (bit stuffing) protocols.

>> The DEUNA is simulated in SimH.  Neither the released TOPS-10 nor
>> TOPS-20 support it.  There is some TCP code floating around that does.
>
> I've now forgotten who wrote it...but I've tried it out!
>

>> If you're trying to move files in and out:
>>   DECnet does work (phase II on TOPS-20, Phase III or IV on TOPS-20),
>> and will talk to VAX/RSX.  You can move files by stopping on or PMR
>> thru) one of them.
>
> Ah right - I forgot TOPS-20 was Phase II only...ARPA stuff would prove
> useful there, then.

You can work your way from Phase II to Phase III - e.g. the T10 phase
III will talk to T20, and any phase IV will talk to Phase III.
It's ugly, but works.

>>   ANF-10 on the KS does work, KS-KS.  It should be possible to build
>> the -11 nodes on the KS & boot them on a SimH -11.  I've been meaning
>> to get around to that, but haven't.  With ANF, besides the
>> peripherals and terminals, you get DCP.
>
> Hmmm!
>

>>    Networking on the KS is supported on both OSs by the KDP
>> emulator.  The DMR should work, though I think there's a monitor bug
>> in 7.04 where my colleagues changed AC definitions and didn't update
>> the DMR driver.  Also on my list.
>
> Did the patches make it in to the "7.05" patches or was it forgotten
> then as well?

There is no 7.05 release.  I started a Github repo for that, but
populating it hasn't reached the top of my endless list.
Sigh.

>>     You can also move files in and out with Kermit (serial lines),
>> cards, magtape, printer.
>
> Magtape emulation and an LP20<--->lpd bridge...time to research if
> lwIP implements that!

LPTSPL will write to magtapes.

I created a printer class driver layer for simh when I did PDF output
for all the emulators, but that went into a black hole of "more is not
enough" and did not find its way into simh/master.

A bridge to lpd should be done that way, and not as an LP20-specific hack.