[Simh] pdp11 and unix

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 20:28:43 EST 2016

Found this in Ritchie's article, "The Development of the C Language":

    Thompson was faced with a hardware environment cramped and spartan
    even for the time: the DEC PDP-7 on which he started in 1968 was a
    machine with 8K 18-bit words of memory and no software useful to
    him. While wanting to use a higher-level language, he wrote the
    original Unix system in PDP-7 assembler. At the start, he did not
    even program on the PDP-7 itself, but instead used a set of macros
    for the GEMAP assembler on a GE-635 machine. A postprocessor
    generated a paper tape readable by the PDP-7.

    These tapes were carried from the GE machine to the PDP-7 for
    testing until a primitive Unix kernel, an editor, an assembler, a
    simple shell (command interpreter), and a few utilities (like the
    Unix rm, cat, cp commands) were completed. After this point, the
    operating system was self-supporting: programs could be written and
    tested without resort to paper tape, and development continued on
    the PDP-7 itself.

    Thompson's PDP-7 assembler outdid even DEC's in simplicity; it
    evaluated expressions and emitted the corresponding bits. There were
    no libraries, no loader or link editor: the entire source of a
    program was presented to the assembler, and the output file—with a
    fixed name—that emerged was directly executable. (This name, a.out,
    explains a bit of Unix etymology; it is the output of the assembler.
    Even after the system gained a linker and a means of specifying
    another name explicitly, it was retained as the default executable
    result of a compilation.)

So, they didn't use DEC's assembler, but they used GE's?

Interesting stuff.

Will