[Simh] pdp11 and unix

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Feb 26 20:47:49 EST 2016

On 2016-02-27 02:34, Clem Cole wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 8:06 PM, Nigel Williams
> <nw at retrocomputingtasmania.com <mailto:nw at retrocomputingtasmania.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     For William's benefit, in those times computers were (chronically) few
>     in number.
>
> ​And very valuable - cost big bucks (millions).  Computer time was often
> "billed" out to people.​

Oh yes. Remnants of that can still be found in older systems, which keep
track of how many CPU ticks you used, how much disk you used, how much
memory, and how many pages you printer on a printer, and so on. And then
you had accounting programs that ran at the end of each month, to
generate bills to send out to everyone...
And you sometimes had programs you could run which presented you with
information on how much money you had consumed in your session.
Scary numbers, even though I never had to pay for any of it myself.

More walks down memory lane. Under RSTS/E the program was called MONEY. :-)
I also remember seeing a similar program under Tops-10, and I know that
TOPS-20, VMS and RSX also kept track of this with the ability to set the
price on things, and generate invoices...
(Can anyone tell that I pretty much exclusively used DEC stuff? :-) )

	Johnny