[Simh] pdp11 and unix

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Feb 26 20:41:09 EST 2016

As far as I know/understand, AT&T didn't have any DEC OS or software for
the PDP-7. So it was, I guess, pretty natural to take what you did have,
and adopt it for your needs. They had the GE system, with an assembler
that could be used, with tweaks, so that's what they used. Getting some
OS from DEC for the PDP-7, in order to assemble their own OS, probably
seemed excessive. Also, remember that they didn't really have much of a
budget to buy stuff at that point.

Exactly where the PDP-7 originally came from, and what it had been used
for before would be interesting to find out.

	Johnny