[Simh] Free USER SPACE DECNET LAT MOP

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Sun Feb 21 11:18:21 EST 2016

On 21-Feb-16 10:59, Johnny Billquist wrote:

>> The old Mentec hobbyist license allowed old versions (which RT-11 DECnet
>> would be), on "an emulator {at that time} owned by DEC".
>> SimH is the descendant of that emulator; everyone here proceeds on the
>> assumption that the license still applies.  Even though DEC is no more,
>> SimH is the emulator that DEC owned then.  Bob got DEC to release
>> ownership of the emulator.  There's no place for hobbyists to send the
>> signed licenses to, but that's a detail encountered in other cases.
>
> Yes. I usually accept that this license is still usable, even though
> it might be a bit murky waters. However, one issue with the license is
> that it only covers old versions of the PDP-11 OSes (as you say).
> Something like "whatever was released before 1990" or something like
> that. I'm sure someone can dig up the correct phrase. Anyway, it means
> that the actual, latest versions of the software is not covered
> anyway. And it would be really nice if people would be allowed to run
> the sane, best versions instead of something really old and buggy.

Sections of license relevant to this discussion follow.  The whole
license is in the RT11 V4 zip file at
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/kits/rt11swre.tar.Z).  Of course, the
whole document defines rights and responsibilities...

Whereas, MENTEC owns the rights to the following PDP-11 Operating
Systems and associated layered products (RT-11 V5.3 or prior, RSTS/E
V9.6 or prior, RSX-11M V4.3 or prior, RSX-11M PLUS V3.0 or prior)
(SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGY) and is prepared to grant a non-exclusive license
to use such
SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGY for personal, non-commercial purposes;

Whereas, CUSTOMER desires to enter into a License Agreement which will
allow CUSTOMER to use such software technology at his or her residence
for personal, non-commercial purposes;

EMULATOR shall mean software owned by Digital Equipment Corporation that
emulates the operation of a PDP-11 processor and allows PDP-11 programs
and operating systems to run on non-PDP-11 systems.

MENTEC grants to CUSTOMER a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free
license under MENTEC's INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS to use and copy the
SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGY solely for personal, non-commercial uses in
conjunction with the EMULATOR.