[Simh] RT-11 Storage Strategy

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Feb 21 07:32:37 EST 2016

On 2016-02-17 21:02, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Feb 17, 2016, at 1:55 PM, Larry Baker <baker at usgs.gov> wrote:
>>
>> If you really want the RT-11 experience, try running it off RX01 floppies.  My first experience with DEC PDP-11's was a PDP-11/34 (not 34A; no FPU) running RT-11 off floppies.  Ka-klunk, ka-klunk!
>
> Yes, but that's still quite a lot faster than running it on DECtape.
>
> Still, the amazing part is that RT on DECtape actually works.  It's the only DEC OS I know of for which that is true.

Like others said, lots of PDP-8 systems definitely ran only from
DECtape. So that is not unique by any means.

But more generally - DECtape is just a block addressable mass storage
system, just like any other. In theory, any OS that can run from a disk
can just as well run from DECtape. Speed will be slow, but that's the
only thing about it.

	Johnny