[Simh] RT-11 Storage Strategy

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Wed Feb 17 19:17:27 EST 2016

> From: Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net>
> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:02:26 -0500

> Still, the amazing part is that RT on DECtape actually works.  It's the only
> DEC OS I know of for which that is true.

I know that RSX-11M works on DECtape, at least in the form of RSX-20F, the
variant used on the 11/40 front end processor in the KL-10 based Decsystem-10
and DECSYSTEM-20 systems.

On the theory that you only know PDP-11 OSes, I'll point out that both OS/8 and
TSS-8 work perfectly well with DECtape, and I have been told by more than one
of the people involved in the incident that at least one disk emergency required
that DECtape be used as the swapping device on a KA-10 based PDP-10 system.

                                                                Rich