[Simh] TOPS-20 networking

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Fri Feb 19 16:57:58 EST 2016

V4.1 is the last version of TOPS-20 to run on the KS, at least
officially.  Releases after that are KL-only.  SimH emulates a KS.

The tapes for 4.1  are available.  We don't have an emulator for the
AN22, so you have to run DECnet - but as of today, it sounds as though a
version of DECnet for Unix is becoming available!  Otherwise, you can do
DECnet to a simulated VAX or 11, then TCP/IP to the rest of the (real)
world.

Some people crammed 5.0 into the KS, but that was never officially released.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.

On 19-Feb-16 16:27, Eric Smith wrote:
> Zane,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  The closest I ever came to these operating
> systems on actual PDP-10s was via CompuServe in around 1980 to 1982.
>  So V4.1 is contemporary with that era, I believe.  But mainly I was
> trying to stick with simh.  I’ve never tried KLH10 and so nothing
> against it .. I was just trying to stay loyal ..
>
> I did install the pcap and other networking bits .. and have done that
> before when running the VAX on simh.
>
> I tried V7 and that’s when I realized it doesn’t run on simh.  Unless
> I’m wrong.  But I’m assuming V7 is going to have the most fully
> developed networking for using in a modern smh environment ..
>
>> On Feb 19, 2016, at 1:52 PM, Zane Healy <healyzh at aracnet.com
>> <mailto:healyzh at aracnet.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Have the bits needed for networking on TOPS-20 V4.1 survived?  I
>> didn’t even realize V4.1 was available.  I’d personally recommend
>> KLH10, and TOPS-20 v7.
>>
>> BTW, I’m honestly surprised that you’ve never run TOPS-20, I’d have
>> thought you’d be one person to have. :-)  I assume you’re aware of my
>> DEC Emulation pages, granted they’re very out of date, but anything
>> that’s listed as a local copy should be there.  I see I have local
>> copies of Bob’s TOPS-20 V4.1 installation instructions.
>>
>> Zane
>>

>>> On Feb 19, 2016, at 11:39 AM, Eric Smith <esmithmail at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:esmithmail at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> SIMH friends,
>>>
>>> Could you possibly point me to a guide for installing and
>>> (especially) configuring the networking software for my fresh
>>> TOPS-20 V4.1 installation?
>>>
>>> I have simh running on a linux host and I’ve been enjoying TOPS-20
>>> on a PDP-10.  I’ve done a clean installation and have installed a
>>> few unbundled tapes.  I’m just learning TOPS-20 and I really like
>>> it.  I see I have MACRO installed and can’t wait to learn to use it
>>> .. I enjoy assembly on just about any hardware and I hear the PDP-10
>>> is tops .. so to speak.
>>>
>>> Anyway, for now I’d like to get the network access going.  Currently
>>> I’m running it through a /screen/ session on my linux host.
>>>
>>> Any help truly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Eric