[Simh] TOPS-20 networking

Zane Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Feb 19 16:33:11 EST 2016

TOPS-20 V7 won’t run on a KS10 (simh), so requires a KL10B (KLH10).

Back when I was actively working with the emulators I recommended SIMH for TOPS-10, and KLH10 for TOPS-20.  I think more TOPS-20 V7 documentation has survived than V4.1, but I haven’t gone looking to see what’s available recently.

One of these days I hope to get an Intel NUC up and running, in part for things like simh and KLH10.  I can only imagine the speed of TOPS-10 on modern hardware!

Zane

> On Feb 19, 2016, at 1:27 PM, Eric Smith <esmithmail at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Zane,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  The closest I ever came to these operating systems on actual PDP-10s was via CompuServe in around 1980 to 1982.  So V4.1 is contemporary with that era, I believe.  But mainly I was trying to stick with simh.  I’ve never tried KLH10 and so nothing against it .. I was just trying to stay loyal ..
>
> I did install the pcap and other networking bits .. and have done that before when running the VAX on simh.
>
> I tried V7 and that’s when I realized it doesn’t run on simh.  Unless I’m wrong.  But I’m assuming V7 is going to have the most fully developed networking for using in a modern smh environment ..
>
>> On Feb 19, 2016, at 1:52 PM, Zane Healy <healyzh at aracnet.com <mailto:healyzh at aracnet.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Have the bits needed for networking on TOPS-20 V4.1 survived?  I didn’t even realize V4.1 was available.  I’d personally recommend KLH10, and TOPS-20 v7.
>>
>> BTW, I’m honestly surprised that you’ve never run TOPS-20, I’d have thought you’d be one person to have. :-)  I assume you’re aware of my DEC Emulation pages, granted they’re very out of date, but anything that’s listed as a local copy should be there.  I see I have local copies of Bob’s TOPS-20 V4.1 installation instructions.
>>
>> Zane
>>

>>> On Feb 19, 2016, at 11:39 AM, Eric Smith <esmithmail at gmail.com <mailto:esmithmail at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> SIMH friends,
>>>
>>> Could you possibly point me to a guide for installing and (especially) configuring the networking software for my fresh TOPS-20 V4.1 installation?
>>>
>>> I have simh running on a linux host and I’ve been enjoying TOPS-20 on a PDP-10.  I’ve done a clean installation and have installed a few unbundled tapes.  I’m just learning TOPS-20 and I really like it.  I see I have MACRO installed and can’t wait to learn to use it .. I enjoy assembly on just about any hardware and I hear the PDP-10 is tops .. so to speak.
>>>
>>> Anyway, for now I’d like to get the network access going.  Currently I’m running it through a screen session on my linux host.
>>>
>>> Any help truly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Eric