[Simh] Free USER SPACE DECNET LAT MOP

James Corrigan corrigan at manageoperations.net
Fri Feb 19 16:17:14 EST 2016

Hello All

Daniel Watts, Bao Claylinde, Barry Stone and I worked on these DEC network stacks for many years. One other fellow, a friend of Dan's, did the MOP implementation

The offering supports an API, level 2 (area router), level 1 (router) and end node as well as all utilities like dap copy and cterm sethost - the Lat and mop implementations are complete. I worked with Bruce Mann and John Yosuaks to bring the first LAT console servers when I was working for DEC.

There are interfaces that we worked with Oracle to implement for Sun HP IBM and Sequent ( now owned by IBM I believe)

This would-be free offering was a long time commercial package that is bug free having been running on 55 different platforms over a 20 year period.

Dan and I worked on this code starting in 1985. Bao joined a few years later and wrote the Ethernet driver with IBM engineers for AiX. I believe he also helped HP modify their Ethernet driver as well. These drivers are well implemented everywhere that allow the change of address to the AA-Xx-Xx DECnet address space. Bao also greatly improved the performance of our LAT

The code compiles on all modern Linux, Windows and UNIX systems as it is a user space implementation. I do need to remove the activation key code so no activation key will be required

John Montgomery who is working for Microsoft now wrote the extensive and highly detailed documentation after leaving Digital Review. It is very comprehensive and took a good while to complete with his then fiancé!

If folks would let me know the versions of Linux and UNIX that they need tested, I will set up a development environment for those servers and confirm that it is operational. I believe we have functionality test suites as well that I will make available.

I look forward to your comments

James Corrigan
Manage Operations

corrigan at ManageOperations.net