[Simh] Free USER SPACE DECNET LAT MOP

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Fri Feb 19 16:53:58 EST 2016

On 19-Feb-16 16:17, James Corrigan wrote:

> Hello All
>

> Daniel Watts, Bao Claylinde, Barry Stone and I worked on these DEC
> network stacks for many years. One other fellow, a friend of Dan's,
> did the MOP implementation
>
> The offering supports an API, level 2 (area router), level 1 (router)
> and end node as well as all utilities like dap copy and cterm sethost
> - the Lat and mop implementations are complete. I worked with Bruce
> Mann and John Yosuaks to bring the first LAT console servers when I
> was working for DEC.
>
> There are interfaces that we worked with Oracle to implement for Sun
> HP IBM and Sequent ( now owned by IBM I believe)
>
> This would-be free offering was a long time commercial package that is
> bug free having been running on 55 different platforms over a 20 year
> period.

[Snip]

> If folks would let me know the versions of Linux and UNIX that they
> need tested, I will set up a development environment for those servers
> and confirm that it is operational. I believe we have functionality
> test suites as well that I will make available.

Thank you for the very welcome contribution!

I run my Linux systems on Fedora and Debian.  Mostly Fedora.  I tend to
stick with older versions, but it's no problem to crank up yet another
VM with with the latest release or .-1 for this.  I don't think you want to

I use VirtualBox for the VMs - mostly hosted on an x86-64 server, but my
windoze notebook has one for when I travel.

I run Debian on RPis - but doubt I'll put SimH on one of those.  Other
folks do.

I know there are other users who run SimH under everything from Android
phones to Tru64 Unix...

Just about every DEC network-capable OS is run here - from TOPS-10/20 to
RT-11.