[Simh] RT-11 Storage Strategy

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Feb 17 10:49:53 EST 2016

Sorry, I should have said an RK05 on an 11/34 or /44 (or even the original
/20);  I did not mean to imply/have that sentence parsed to mean that
RK05's were not on the QBUS.

My point was there were a number of Unibus RT-11 systems sold that ran on
the RK05's and that if you were trying to get the an experience of what
many users had, that would be where I would start.   Certainly that matched
my own experience in school and in industry.

By the time of the rise of the QBUS systems, I had personally stopped using
RT-11 and I would have expected most people to be using newer technology,
if only for cost per bit reasons.  I know I was using newer storage
technologies on my Vaxen and later Unix workstations.

That DEC and customers put RK05's on QBUS is not a surprise if only because
that was a popular technology, although the price/bit by then was in favor
of MFM/ESDI and eventually SCSI technologies.  On the other hand, IIRC
there were aftermarket controllers for QBUS by then that used the newer
technologies and I would have expected people running RT-11 to want to use
them if nothing else for space reasons [RK05 was a 19" rackmount
technology, where as the MFM/EDSI/SCSI disks had moved to 5 1/4"].