[Simh] VMS FIles

Robert Thomas rft at asthomas.com
Tue Feb 16 09:54:50 EST 2016

The usual situation when installing VMS on a real machine whether VAX, AXP, or IA64 was to manually type in the initial licenses as given on the license sheets from DEC/COMPAQ/HP.  Depending on the hardware, operating system version and license bundles, either one, two or more licenses needed to be entered to get a "minimally" functional system (VMS, VAXCLUSTER, DECWINDOWS, UCX/TCPIP).

The UCX/TCPIP implementation all support basic functionality, i.e. FTP, TELNET, RLOGIN, REXEC, and RSH.  If the host system supports FTP, files can be readily transferred onto the simulated system.

The freeware CD's/DVD's contain SAMBA in source and binary for VAX, AXP and IA64.  Such can be installed on VMS to provide core functionality.

Putty is a very small footprint telnet client that plays well with VMS.

If one wants to work in an X-Windows environment, one can install DECWindows on the VMS system and connect using eXcursion or any other X-Windows servers via TCPIP.

Additionally, the simh VAXen, work well as members of a VAX/VMSCLUSTER.  We have a simh microVAX3900 running VMS 7.3 (host hardware a 4-core AMD PC running Windows-7) as a member of our AXP and IA64 cluster.  The performance of the simh microVAX3900 is noticeably better than our original hardware.

Sincerely,
Robert F. Thomas

 44 Industrial Way
Norwood, MA USA 02062