[Simh] [SimH] VAX/VMS

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Tue Feb 16 10:10:16 EST 2016

Okay, I'll bite - what's a VXT1200? I see references to it on Google,
but I can't find a clear description.

Tim Litt said rtVAX was never intended to run VMS, but its history is a
bit more complicated. The original intent of the uVAX chip program,
which kicked off in the spring of 1982, was to establish an
chip-and-software industry standard in the IBM PC sense, at the 32b
level. The uVAX program office under Roy Moffa had a clearly stated and
approved goal to sell uVAX as a chip, a board, and a system, to all
comers, with appropriate licensing for VMS. As a result, the definition
of the chip was limited in three ways, to minimize the competitive
impact on DEC's own products.

1. The chip would implement only a subset of the instructions (also
needed to get the microcode to fit).
2. The chip would support only 16MB of physical memory.
3. The chip would have physical system space and physical process page
tables. Because of the physical memory limitation, this would limit the
size of virtual memory as well.

Dave Cutler's MicroVAX I (code name Seahorse) would be even more
limited, because it would only support 4MB of physical memory.

As the project went on, the software cost of limitation #3 became
increasingly clear. In the fall of 1982, Dave Cutler asked that system
space be made virtual, with an independent mapping enable bit. The uVAX
team wasn't happy about this but eventually agreed. Then, in the spring
of 1983, the VMS team concluded that getting VMS to support physical
process page tables was really, really hard. Dick Hustvedt asked if full
VAX memory management could be supported. Dave was able to do that for
MicroVAX I, and after some minimal redesign work, the uVAX team was able
to support full memory management as well.

But with the virtual memory limitation removed, and evidence that uVAX
would perform almost as well as a 780 except on COBOL apps, Ken Olsen
became increasingly unhappy about selling the chip and setting up
competitors to DEC's own VAX line. In 1984, he reversed the decision to
sell the chip but allowed the program to sell boards to continue. Then,
on the day of the MicroVAX II system announcement, /at the announcement
site/, he reversed the decision about selling boards and had all the OEM
material removed from the announcement. The chip and board teams were
devastated.

In order to have <something> 32b to sell in the real-time market, the
real-time business resurrected the original uVAX definition, now to be
known as rtVAX. At first, Ken demanded that rtVAX be incapable of
running Ultrix/Unix as well, but any changes that prevented that also
made it impossible to run VAXELN, Dave Cutler's real-time OS.
Eventually, Ken concluded that preventing rtVAX from running VMS was
sufficient, and it was allowed to proceed. Because changes had to be
confined to microcode, rtVAX included mapped system space and physical
process page tables, with a single enable bit.

I don't recall if there was a CVAX real-time variant. There's no
evidence in the CVAX microcode of alternative memory management flows.
The 1987 Semiconductor Handbooks don't mention rtVAX at all.

/Bob