[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 147, Issue 38

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Apr 20 18:32:35 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-21 00:24, Larry Baker wrote:
> What about file systems that have multiple metadata streams, like NTFS?
>   (Multics?  I know, not a SIMH machine.  But, the argument is to make a
> "universal file transfer tool".)  One stream for ACLs, for example,
> another for Macintosh AFS (gone now), any number of other streams you
> can use yourself.  I supposed each one could be a ._blah file, assuming
> that is a legal file name.  If one system uses numbers for metadata
> streams and another uses names and yet another uses different numbers or
> names, how are you planning to match them up?
>
> Binary files = bad idea
>
> Text files (including ASCII<->EBCDIC<->BCD) = Kermit
>
> Assuming the machinery of SIMH already supports connecting a serial port
> to an IP socket, all you may have to write is something to bridge that
> socket to Kermit on your client machine, ala a telnet data stream so
> Kermit sees it as a telnet server.  Some (all) SIMH emulators already
> support a telnet session to a serial port.  Then your SIMH system reads
> and writes to the serial port using its native device support, and
> you—human—cut and paste into the Kermit window on your client machine.
>   You don't have to run a Kermit on the SIMH emulated machine; the SIMH
> machinery captures serial data and send/receives it for you.
>
> I agree with Johhny Bilquist on this one: I don't see any advantage in
> reinventing what already works.

The icing on the cake is that C-Kermit can actually connect over telnet,
so that side is also already solved. If your simh instance have a serial
port, and it is mapped to a telnet port (something that simh supports),
then run C-Kermit on a Unix box, and telnet into simh, and you have your
kermit connection all set up.

If someone wants to see this in action, install C-Kermit on your
machine, and start it. Then telnet to mim.update.uu.se (in kermit), and
login as GUEST with password GUEST. This is not a simh instance, but no
matter. It is an RSX system, it has Kermit-11 installed, and you are
connected to something that looks like a serial port on that machine.
Start Kermit-11, give the command "SERVER", and then return to C-Kermit
prompt, and try something like DIR.

Works like a charm.

	Johnny