[Simh] file transfers

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Wed Apr 20 18:46:47 EDT 2016

Amen!

If you're trying to transfer files to or from a simulator, then think
about how it was done /on the real machine/. There's almost always a
solution, for any given simulator/OS pair.

For systems from the 50s and 60s, it's punched cards, which are usually
simulated as ASCII text files. Simulated line printers convert the
native format (BCD etc) to ASCII.

For minicomputers from the 60s and 70s, it's paper tape (in and out) and
line printer (out); ASCII was pretty standard by then.

For the VAX, it's TCP/IP, which is available in both VMS and Unix. VMS
can also read and write ANSI compliant magtape files. It can print to a
line printer to export text files.

If a particular simulator lacks a convenient or supported method, look
at fixing the issues in that simulator.

/Bob