[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 147, Issue 38

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Wed Apr 20 18:24:07 EDT 2016

What about file systems that have multiple metadata streams, like NTFS?  (Multics?  I know, not a SIMH machine.  But, the argument is to make a "universal file transfer tool".)  One stream for ACLs, for example, another for Macintosh AFS (gone now), any number of other streams you can use yourself.  I supposed each one could be a ._blah file, assuming that is a legal file name.  If one system uses numbers for metadata streams and another uses names and yet another uses different numbers or names, how are you planning to match them up?

Binary files = bad idea

Text files (including ASCII<->EBCDIC<->BCD) = Kermit

Assuming the machinery of SIMH already supports connecting a serial port to an IP socket, all you may have to write is something to bridge that socket to Kermit on your client machine, ala a telnet data stream so Kermit sees it as a telnet server.  Some (all) SIMH emulators already support a telnet session to a serial port.  Then your SIMH system reads and writes to the serial port using its native device support, and you—human—cut and paste into the Kermit window on your client machine.  You don't have to run a Kermit on the SIMH emulated machine; the SIMH machinery captures serial data and send/receives it for you.

I agree with Johhny Bilquist on this one: I don't see any advantage in reinventing what already works.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov