[Simh] VMS/VDE: Almost there

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Oct 7 13:46:08 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-07 19:31, Gregg Levine wrote:
> Hello!
> Remember the keyword in my presentation was "possibly".

:-)

> And shortly after sending it, I realized it was for the other one,
> RTS-8 not OS/8. (That was based on the discussions on that list you
> and someone else run remember.) However the big problem for me here
> was and still is, that of hardware.

I wonder who that "someone else" is? :-)
Anyway, OS/8 is such a stupid OS that it would in essence be impossible
to run something like DECnet on it. OS/8 is pretty much totally polled
I/O based, and do not have any memory management, and most programs
actually do some I/O without even going through the device drivers, as
the device driver functionality is also rather limited.

RTS-8 is in some ways way more capable, but it is more of a dedicated
system for a task, and not a general system for generic use.

> I wonder if it was ever tested properly and even made to work with
> everything else......

Looking at the code, it certainly looks proper enough. I would think it
would work.

As for hardware, I personally have enough PDP-8 stuff around to run
this. I have even run RTS-8 in the past. But I don't have anything to
connect this to.

	Johnny