[Simh] Updated simtools

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Tue May 26 21:56:01 EDT 2015

I updated the simtools repo (https://github.com/simh/simtools) over the
holiday so that it has a readable master README and each tool has its
own directory.  (Thanks Mark for pulling the changes.)

It could use some more attention.  Many of the tools are missing
READMEs, and most are missing build scripts.

If you *use* one of these tools, you can help by creating a README.  It
doesn't have to be fancy - even copy and paste from the usage (when they
have one) would help people to select and use these tools.  Currently,
one has to read the C code to figure out what they do and how to invoke
them.  That's not for everyone.

If you *build* one of these tools, you can help by creating a Makefile
and/or MSVC project file.   (Or for VMS, an MMS file.)
I have created simple Makefiles for the 1-file tools (that's most of
them) with a script, but several that use multiple source files need the
human touch.  None have MSVC or MMS files.  For most of the tools these
should be trivial, even allowing for the need to tell MSVC that the
standard, but 'unsafe' library calls are OK.   Several of the tools have
LOTS of compiler warnings under gcc - they need fixing.

There are ~25 one-file tools.  If one person per tool takes a few
minutes to do one or both of these simple things, the tools will be a
lot more usable for everyone.  It's a pretty easy way to give back to
the community.

Finally, if you see something wrong in the master README, a tool's
README or its behavior, please fix it if you can, or report it if you can't.

A windows binary kit of all the tools would also be nice, but that
requires some coordination and more work.

For the record, I'm not taking on the role of tools maintainer.  I just
wanted to build a couple, and it was just as easy to run the script on
25 tools as on two.  Hopefully some of you will adopt a tool (or two).

I'm working on some new tape tools including a replacement for the
tops-10 backup reader, but for now what's there is what we have...

--
This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.