[Simh] Updated simtools

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Wed May 27 06:38:08 EDT 2015

On Tue, 2015-05-26 21:56:01 -0400, Timothe Litt <litt at ieee.org> wrote:
> I updated the simtools repo (https://github.com/simh/simtools) over the
> holiday so that it has a readable master README and each tool has its
> own directory.  (Thanks Mark for pulling the changes.)
[...]
> If you *build* one of these tools, you can help by creating a Makefile
> and/or MSVC project file.   (Or for VMS, an MMS file.)
> I have created simple Makefiles for the 1-file tools (that's most of
> them) with a script, but several that use multiple source files need the
> human touch.  None have MSVC or MMS files.  For most of the tools these
> should be trivial, even allowing for the need to tell MSVC that the
> standard, but 'unsafe' library calls are OK.   Several of the tools have
> LOTS of compiler warnings under gcc - they need fixing.

I'd be, for example, interested in the extracters/ods2 sources. Won't
compile out of the box on a Linux system, and might need some
tweaking. For example, pulling in <stdint.h> types would make life a
lot easier and just silence warnings about redefinitions of u_long for
example. (Also, u_long is typedef'ed from "unsigned int", which has
interesting effects on different platforms and CPU architectures.)

  Is somebody willing to test patches on the already supported
platforms (WinNT, OS/2 and VMS)? Then I'd probably start to implement
I/O routines for a POSIX machine...  However, that would be quite a
rework of the original codebase.  Would you accept patches working in
that direction?

> For the record, I'm not taking on the role of tools maintainer.  I just
> wanted to build a couple, and it was just as easy to run the script on
> 25 tools as on two.  Hopefully some of you will adopt a tool (or two).
>
> I'm working on some new tape tools including a replacement for the
> tops-10 backup reader, but for now what's there is what we have...

I'm not too sure who's the actual "user" of that collection. I *guess*
that it's 70% Linux/BSD users and 30% Windows?  How about building
Makefiles for all tools (and one building all tools in a row)? Could
also use the Cygwin Compiler with Windows, too...

  Bringing MSVC would be interesting, to test it with a 2nd compiler
as well, but I don't have that at my hands.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
 Signature of:                            If it doesn't work, force it.