[Simh] simh encyclopedy

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Mon Mar 9 14:51:07 EDT 2015

On Monday, March 09, 2015 at 11:14 AM, gérard Calliet wrote:
> I already got a lot of interesting things here about simh.
>
> After a very long time of latency, I finally begin a project were I will make
> robust a solution with a cluster of OpenVMS 8.4.1H1 on itanium, 2 Itanium
> servers and 4 simh Vaxen satellites, running on top on the Itanium. Perhaps I
> will have questions during my project, and all advice shoul be well received.

From what you are saying here you're planning on running simh instances on Itanium host systems, right?

I CAN NOT recommend that you attempt to run a cluster of Itanium systems with one or more of those cluster nodes being the host system(s) for simh VAX instances which are also members of the SAME cluster.

> I am a VMS formatted guy, so I like a lot reading docs. My question here
> is: are there simh docs (notably about SCP) other than simh_doc, simh_faq
> and vax_doc? Or discussion of interest on making simh contexts "robust",
> easy to maintain? Or specific things about simh on OpenVMS?

If you can elaborate on "robust" and "easy to maintain" we can offer suggestions.

The latest code (https://github.com/simh/simh/archive/master.zip) simh VAX simulator should build cleanly on IA64 VMS.  It can use the vms-pcap package (https://github.com/simh/simh/archive/vms-pcap.zip) to communicate on the LAN.  VMS Build instructions should be clear at:  https://github.com/simh/simh   When using vms-pcap to connect to the LAN, each simh instance will require a dedicated NIC device on the host system.

I don't believe that very many folks are currently running on IA64, so you may be testing beyond what others have done recently.

Good Luck.

- Mark