[Simh] Off topic: ULTRIX question

Gary Lee Phillips tivo.overo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 07:52:18 EDT 2015

Thanks Clem and Johnny for at least confirming what I suspected. I
worked with VMS on Vaxen in the 80s, At the time I wished for an
opportunity to compare VMS with UNIX on the same hardware. In the 90s
I worked with UNIX, mostly AIX on RS/6000. Today I mostly use Linux,
though I have a couple of Alphas in working order. I run OpenVMS and
Linux on those.

I keep looking for a way to get a "real" UNIX going, hence the ULTRIX
experiment. As far as I can tell, neither Tru64 nor HP-UX have any
kind of hobbyist licensing program available and I am just "playing"
with stuff at this point, I was looking for another way to get at UNIX
here at home. ULTRIX appears feasible, but even the documentation is
less complete than what we have for OpenVMS. Finding installable
versions of tools like EMACS is a real snipe hunt.

Also, thanks to everyone for the discussion on processor history and
development over the last week or so. It has been very interesting.

--Gary