[Simh] Off topic: ULTRIX question

lists at openmailbox.org lists at openmailbox.org
Sun Jul 12 08:08:46 EDT 2015

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 06:52:18 -0500
Gary Lee Phillips <tivo.overo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Clem and Johnny for at least confirming what I suspected. I
> worked with VMS on Vaxen in the 80s, At the time I wished for an
> opportunity to compare VMS with UNIX on the same hardware. In the 90s
> I worked with UNIX, mostly AIX on RS/6000. Today I mostly use Linux,
> though I have a couple of Alphas in working order. I run OpenVMS and
> Linux on those.
>
> I keep looking for a way to get a "real" UNIX going, hence the ULTRIX
> experiment. As far as I can tell, neither Tru64 nor HP-UX have any
> kind of hobbyist licensing program available and I am just "playing"
> with stuff at this point, I was looking for another way to get at UNIX
> here at home.

What about Solaris 10? It's a real UNIX and has real documentation and a
nice toolchain for C/C++/Fortran. It is all free as in beer for use as a
development box. Licensing terms are annoying and unclear but there are no
reports of anybody being skewered for running a Solaris box at home.

SPARC hardware is good, cheap, and plentiful. Can't say the same for power
or air conditioning though. Get earplugs!