[Simh] More VAX 11/750 Testing

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 00:01:45 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 7:30 PM, Henry Bent <hbent at oberlin.edu> wrote:
> Now for a new 11/750 issue: Ultrix 1.1.

Interesting puzzle.  My first Ultrix was 1.1 on an 11/730 (I had prior
experience with 4BSD on an 11/750)

> Now, with the most recent fix, that turns out not to be the
> case.  The kernel loads but stops immediately:
>
> sim> boot rq /r5:1
>
> Boot
> : ra(0,0)genvmunix
> Updating 11/750 microcode ...
> 220688+77372+63260 start 0x1420
>
> HALT instruction, PC: 800001E5 (HALT)

Hmm... that's pretty early.  That's good.  Less swamp to wade through.

> If needed, I put a mostly clean install of Ultrix 1.1 (on a 780) at
> http://occs.cs.oberlin.edu/~hbent/vaxultrix/ultrix11.tar.bz2 .  No root
> password.

Cool

> On a more general note relating to Bob's recent email, I don't think I have
> the skills to truly adopt a machine within simh, but I can certainly do all
> manner of testing.  I'll try to find some time over the next few days to
> come up with some esoteric corner cases for the 8600 and 750.

I'm in a similar boat.  I have a lot of experience with VMS and UNIX
on the 11/750, 11/730, MicroVAX I and II, and even the 8200 (the
machines I used every day from about 1984-1994), from installation to
writing/debugging system code and device drivers.  I don't know that I
have deep enough experience to adopt a machine, but I'm happy to help
and test and fix what I can see.

-ethan