[Simh] More VAX 11/750 Testing

Henry Bent hbent at oberlin.edu
Wed Jul 8 19:30:21 EDT 2015

First of all, thank you very much to Mark for finding and fixing the uba
problem with the 750.  Glad that modern Ultrix now works on that simulator.

Now for a new 11/750 issue: Ultrix 1.1.  Before the most recent fix it
didn't even attempt to boot, and I just figured that bootloader/OS support
was incomplete.  Now, with the most recent fix, that turns out not to be
the case.  The kernel loads but stops immediately:

sim> boot rq /r5:1

Boot
: ra(0,0)genvmunix
Updating 11/750 microcode ...
220688+77372+63260 start 0x1420

HALT instruction, PC: 800001E5 (HALT)

If needed, I put a mostly clean install of Ultrix 1.1 (on a 780) at
http://occs.cs.oberlin.edu/~hbent/vaxultrix/ultrix11.tar.bz2 .  No root
password.

On a more general note relating to Bob's recent email, I don't think I have
the skills to truly adopt a machine within simh, but I can certainly do all
manner of testing.  I'll try to find some time over the next few days to
come up with some esoteric corner cases for the 8600 and 750.

-Henry