[Simh] Multiple telnet ports in SimH to RSTS/E 9.6

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Thu Dec 31 14:42:37 EST 2015

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Will Senn wrote:
> I am not able to figure out what devices to enable in SimH PDP-11 to get
> multiple telnet connections in RSTS/E 9.6.
>
> I'm using a PDP-11/73 with 4megs of memory and I have the console
> configured:
>
> SET CONSOLE TELNET=10000
>
> I am able to telnet into port 10000. It works as a login terminal no problem.
>
> But, then I also tried to set up some DZ11 lines to support additional logins
> over local telnet:
>
> SET DZ ENABLE
> SET DZ LINES=8
> ATTACH DZ  10001
> SHOW DZ
>
> but these don't seem to be picked up by RSTS/E. SimH let's me connect via
> telnet to ports 10001-10007, but RSTS/E does not respond in the telnet
> session. I reviewed my sysgen for RSTS/E and it doesn't appear to have a
> DZ11 peripheral configuration section. My sense is that RSTS/E doesn't
> support DZ11s.
>
> Here is the relevant section of the sysgen:
> Accept Peripheral defaults ?    <N >
> ---snip disk drives, paper tape, etc.
> DMC11's/DMR11's ?               <00>
> DMV11's/DMP11's ?               <00>
> IBM 3271 or 2780/3780 simultaneous links ?      <00>
> RJ2780 support ?                <N >
>
> In looking at the
> AA-2669J-TC_RSTS-E_System_Installation_and_Update_Guide.pdf file, page
> 49. It has this to say about the IBM 3271 or 2780/3780 option (sounds like an
> alternative device to the DZ?):
>
> Explanation - Each KMC-11 microprocessor controls one DUP11 synchronous
> line interface to the 3271 or 2780/3780 host... and so on.
>
> My questions are:
> Does SimH support the KMC-11/DUP11 pairing somehow?
> Or is there another suitable device available in SimH for providing access to
> RSTS/E via telnet?
> If so, what are the device names on the SimH side and the RSTS/E side of
> things?

The KMC/DUP and DMC devices are only supported in simh for simulator
to simulator DECnet connections.  These are WAN synchronous devices
which have nothing to do with connecting to a simulator via telnet.

You are on the right track looking at SYSGEN to configure the OS side of
enabling DZ functionality.  You may also want to look at DL and DC devices
which can also provide incoming telnet connections to a simulator.  Since,
I've never been a RSTS user, I can't begin to suggest how you configure
that OS to enable these devices.

Good Luck.

- Mark