[Simh] GOLD Keys and such

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 14:26:20 EST 2015

On 20 December 2015 at 01:28,  <lists at openmailbox.org> wrote:
> That is because IBM doesn't use telnet or serial terminals. They use the
> 3270 series terminals and the tn3270 protocol is used by terminal emulators.
Yes and no. Yes, the majority of time you use a tn3270 emulator to
pretend to be a 3278 or 3279 of some sort; as either an operator
console, or as a TSO terminal.

However, in the IBM mainframe world, there were the "typewriter"
terminals, like the 1052-7 and 3215. Also, let's not forget the IBM
2703 Communications Control unit; which had the option of using the
IBM Telegraph Terminal Control Type II; which provides a way for Model
33 and Model 35 TWX terminals to connect to a mainframe. Hercules
emulates all of those (the 1052-7, 3215, and 2703 with TELE2); the way
to connect to those are via "plain" telnet.

The 1052-7 and 3215 emulations are there for being console terminals
(and you can specify 1052-C or 3215-C to have those consoles appear in
the Hercules interface itself); while the 2703 with TELE2 is
relatively new and let's you connect to TSO.

> There are other 3270 emulators for Windows but as far as I know they are
> all proprietary and sell for money.

Yup, and that's why I already use x3270; which is actually a pretty
nice emulator.

Bringing this conversation back to the world of SIMH (sorta). From IBM
manual GC23-0002-0, while doing an RMT generation for JES2, you can
have the RMT generation process produce object decks for IBM 1130 and
IBM System/3 systems that make them operate as BSC connected RJE
stations. This seems like a pretty interesting application for SIMH.
It would require the implementation of the BSCA device for the
System/3, in a way that would compatibly operate with the Hercules
2703 BSC emulation, and similar creation of a sync modem device on the
1130 simulator.

The required hardware for the remote terminal program is:
IBM System/3 Model 10 with the following selectable options:
 * 1442 Card Read Punch
 * 5203 Printer
 * 5424 Multi-Function Card Unit
 * 5471 Printer-Keyboard
 * 5475 Data Entry Keyboard

IBM 1130 System with the following selectable options:
 * 1132 Printer
 * 1403 Printer
 * 1442 Card Read Punch
 * 1442 Card Punch
 * 2501 Card Reader
 * Standard Printer-Keyboard

Both simulators already support the hardware needed, except the
bisynch adapters.

Cheers,
Christian
--