[Simh] GOLD Keys and such

lists at openmailbox.org lists at openmailbox.org
Mon Dec 21 02:14:28 EST 2015

On 20 December 2015 at 01:28,  <lists at openmailbox.org> wrote:

> That is because IBM doesn't use telnet or serial terminals. They use the
> 3270 series terminals and the tn3270 protocol is used by terminal
> emulators.

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 14:26:20 -0500
Christian Gauger-Cosgrove <captainkirk359 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes and no. Yes, the majority of time you use a tn3270 emulator to
> pretend to be a 3278 or 3279 of some sort; as either an operator
> console, or as a TSO terminal.

Even for the mid 1970s MVS 3.8 OS IBM placed in the public domain nobody
uses anything but 3278s except maybe for console logging (not as a general
console). The printing terminals were useful for OS/360 console loggers
but few Hercules users run OS/360. Bottom line and for everything else when
you're using a terminal with MVS it's a 3278 and needs a tn3270 client if
you are not direct attached. tn3270 covers 100% of normal use cases for MVS
terminals except if you insist on using an optional printing console. You
certainly don't need one.

> However, in the IBM mainframe world, there were the "typewriter"
> terminals, like the 1052-7 and 3215. Also, let's not forget the IBM
> 2703 Communications Control unit; which had the option of using the
> IBM Telegraph Terminal Control Type II; which provides a way for Model
> 33 and Model 35 TWX terminals to connect to a mainframe. Hercules
> emulates all of those (the 1052-7, 3215, and 2703 with TELE2); the way
> to connect to those are via "plain" telnet.

Are you saying Putty's telnet doesn't support the printing terminals
Hercules supports? Because if that is not what you are saying then we seem
to be going around in circles. Telnet clearly won't work for a normal IBM
terminal.