[Simh] GOLD Keys and such

lists at openmailbox.org lists at openmailbox.org
Sun Dec 20 01:28:05 EST 2015

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 15:44:26 -0500
Christian Gauger-Cosgrove <captainkirk359 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 December 2015 at 14:42, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:
> > Its UI may be clunky or dated, but as far as emulation capabilities go,
> > xterm really is the cadillac of VT100 emulators.
> >
> Just would like to state that in Windows-land PuTTY does an excellent
> job of emulating the VT-100; even doing the dual-wide and dual-height
> characters (which I don't think I've seen done in others before... at
> least other emulators in Windows).
>
> The one and only problem I've found with PuTTY is that for some reason
> it's telnet is not compatible with the Hercules (IBM System/370 and up
> mainframe emulator; not SIMH project) emulator.

That is because IBM doesn't use telnet or serial terminals. They use the
3270 series terminals and the tn3270 protocol is used by terminal emulators.
There is an excellent, free and open source tn3270 emulator that was
originally developed by Sun and is currently maintained.

Look at http://x3270.bgp.nu/

It runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris, and I would suspect most UNIX-like
systems.

There are other 3270 emulators for Windows but as far as I know they are
all proprietary and sell for money.