[Simh] GOLD Keys and such

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Dec 19 19:02:32 EST 2015

On 2015-12-19 22:33, Will Senn wrote:

> On 12/19/15 2:58 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>
>> As for double width and double height, xterm does it just fine. In
>> fact, xterm is the only implementation that I don't know of any
>> incompatibilities in.
>>
>>     Johnny
>>
> Johnny,
>
> I am trying to use xterm, now that I have terminal behaving better. But,
> the keymapping is really weird: pressing the delete key displays ^H,
> pressing CTRL-DELETE, effectively backspaces, and pressing fn-F5, which
> in Terminal is mapped to ESC-O-w, displays 5~.  Do you know where xterm
> is getting its key mapping from? If it's a file, do you know of a VT100
> file of mappings? I have a feeling that the default mapping is way off.

Ah. xterm have lots of knobs, but it's not always so easy to figure them
all out.

The delete thing, for example, can work in several ways. If you press
control and the left mouse button, you should get a menu where you can
deselect "Delete is DEL". I suspect you have that selected right now.

As for keyboard behavior, you have several parts to it. One is that
xterm can also "emulate" other keyboard than DEC ones. See that menu
mentioned above again.
Second, the numeric keyboard on a VT100 can actually send different
codes, depending on mode. The computer can send specific escape
sequences to change the number keypad into and out of application mode.
And depending on that, the keys send different stuff. If you press
controler and the middle mouse button, you'll find another menu, where
you can manually turn on and off application keypad, as well as
application cursor keys.

The man-page for xterm is really long, but read it through once or
twice, and you'll find all you need in there.

The things I mentioned in the menus are also available as command line
switches, and also as X resources.

	Johnny