[Simh] EXT :Re: Questions regarding future simulator development

Matt matt at 9track.net
Wed Apr 10 19:08:46 EDT 2013

On 10/04/2013 22:07, Hittner, David T (IS) wrote:
> Matt,
>
> How does this serial solution address changing the removable media when your administrators need to connect to the sim> prompt from a continent away?
> I would think that the solution really should be network-based rather than serial.
>
> Dave

I think there is some confusion here. When I say serial I am referring
to a serial port of the guest system not the host system (for example a
DZ11). In the Simh ini file you would nominate one of the serial ports
eg dz4 to act as the interface to SCP. When you are then connected to
the guest operating system via whatever means (telnet, TMXR etc) then
you can use a terminal emulator to connect to this serial port. An
example session with a VMS guest would look like this:

$ SET HOST /DTE TTA4:

%REM-I-TOQUIT, connection established

Press Ctrl/\ to quit, Ctrl/@ for command mode

sim> det rq3
sim> att rq3 newimage.rx33
sim>^\

%REM-S-END, control returned to node SIMVAX
$

This is a similar approach to that proposed by Dell, but does not
require any special software on the guest system other than a terminal
emulator.

This implementation would not do any checking of what is being
detached/attached, but then neither does the existing SCP.

Hope this explanation makes sense.

Matt