[Simh] Not Responding to Console on Raspberry Pi

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 14 15:42:43 EDT 2012

I built SIMH on the Raspberry Pi (Debian) and have been running it fairly
successfully. Recently though it has stopped responding to the console, for
no reason I can determine. After it has booted VMS (this is the VAX 780
emulation) I press enter to get the login prompt and nothing happens. If I
press CTRL-E it halts the emulation, but fails to respond to any further key
presses at the sim> prompt. If I change the console to be telnet then I can
use telnet to log in to the machine etc, perfectly normally. This is really
puzzling, has anyone ever seen something like this?
Regards
Rob
PS Just in case you want to see the ini file, here it is. Note that if
refers also to two features I have added (DMC11 emulation, and difference
files):
;
; This virtual machine has 64M memory
set cpu 64m
set cpu idle=vms
set rq0 ra92
set rq3 cdrom
;
attach rq0 /vax780/d0_780_VMS_5.4.dsk
set rl disable
set ts enable
set dz disable

; Attach Ethernet to a network interface
set xu enable
set xu mac=08-00-2B-AA-BB-CD
attach xu eth0
set console debug=stdout
set dma enable
set dma transmit=simh.dyndns.org:7801
set dma linemode=primary
set dma debug=warn
set dmb disable
diff attach rq0 /vax780/d0_780_VMS_5.4-Ulli.diff 512
boot rq0