[Simh] Godbout/Viasyn CompuPro Disk 3 emulation in Altair Z80 simulator

Ian R. Justman ianj at ian-justman.com
Thu Sep 13 18:02:49 EDT 2012

Hi, all.

I've known about SIMH for many years but only decided recently to give
it a go.

The main thing I wanted to check was how many people have messed with
the Godbout/Viasyn CompuPro Disk 3 emulation code?  I read that it had
only been tested with the DISK3.COM diagnostic package.

On a whim, I decided to build up a SIMH install to see if it would work.
  After that, I picked up all the various packages out there to get
started, as well as the CompuPro packages.  Disk 2 packages were out
there, but no Disk 3.  I decided to build a CBIOS using the Disk 3 code
rather than the Disk 2.  After a bit of fussing with the linker, I
managed to get a CP/M boot to not only see the Disk 3 controller and its
simulated Quantum Q540, it actually WORKED.

Thus far, I'm using the 2.2NZ release of the code.  I'm about to work on
the 2.2Q BIOS code shortly.  I figured I would report on this in case
nobody else had even reported, let alone tried it.

Anything I should look out for or be aware of other than what the
documentation mentions?

Thanks!

--Ian.

--
Ian R. Justman
UNIX hacker.  Anime fan.  Any questions?