[Simh] Certainly a silly question

Matt scope.matthew at btinternet.com
Fri May 4 16:53:02 EDT 2012

On 04/05/2012 20:46, Armistead, Jason wrote:
> It would be a useful enhancement if the host operating system could notify SIMH when it wanted to change a disk or CD image file over.  Maybe this requires SIMH to listen to a given port (emulated terminal serial I/O or via TCP/IP).  Terminal ports might be easier for host scripting (something delivered with SIMH and installed on the guest OS).  Obviously, if we want to prevent the host from doing this, it should be configurable as such.

This one has been on my todo list for a while. My plan was to use one of
the DZ ports or similar so you can:

$ SET HOST/DTE TTA0:

%REM-I-TOQUIT, connection established

Press Ctrl/\ to quit, Ctrl/@ for command mode

sim> det rq1
sim> att rq1 newdisk.dsk
sim> ^\

%REM-S-END, control returned to node _0::
$

This method requires no changes to the guest O/S. All that is needed is
a suitable terminal emulator that can connect to one of the simulated
serial ports. Which port was used would of course be configurable:

sim> set console runtime=dz0

Matt