[Simh] Certainly a silly question

Thomas Pfau tfpfau at gmail.com
Fri May 4 18:26:54 EDT 2012

That's an interesting idea.  I had a different idea.

The OS can't use the volume until it sets the PACKACK bit in the CSR.  Simh
could use this as a signal to open the file attached to the device.  On
dismount and unload, the file would get closed.  The user could then use
another host OS session to move another file into place for the next volume.

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Matt <scope.matthew at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 04/05/2012 20:46, Armistead, Jason wrote:
> > It would be a useful enhancement if the host operating system could
> notify SIMH when it wanted to change a disk or CD image file over.  Maybe
> this requires SIMH to listen to a given port (emulated terminal serial I/O
> or via TCP/IP).  Terminal ports might be easier for host scripting
> (something delivered with SIMH and installed on the guest OS).  Obviously,
> if we want to prevent the host from doing this, it should be configurable
> as such.
>
> This one has been on my todo list for a while. My plan was to use one of
> the DZ ports or similar so you can:
>
> $ SET HOST/DTE TTA0:
>
> %REM-I-TOQUIT, connection established
>
> Press Ctrl/\ to quit, Ctrl/@ for command mode
>
> sim> det rq1
> sim> att rq1 newdisk.dsk
> sim> ^\
>
> %REM-S-END, control returned to node _0::
> $
>
> This method requires no changes to the guest O/S. All that is needed is
> a suitable terminal emulator that can connect to one of the simulated
> serial ports. Which port was used would of course be configurable:
>
> sim> set console runtime=dz0
>
> Matt

Thomas Pfau
tfpfau at gmail.com