[Simh] Certainly a silly question

Armistead, Jason Jason.Armistead at otis.com
Fri May 4 15:46:03 EDT 2012

It would be a useful enhancement if the host operating system could notify SIMH when it wanted to change a disk or CD image file over.  Maybe this requires SIMH to listen to a given port (emulated terminal serial I/O or via TCP/IP).  Terminal ports might be easier for host scripting (something delivered with SIMH and installed on the guest OS).  Obviously, if we want to prevent the host from doing this, it should be configurable as such.

Done right, we could have the entire set of VMS layered product and documentation CDs, plus DECUS tapes, etc. all available for loading on an as-needed basis (or the equivalent for whatever guest OS takes your fancy).

This would seem better than dismounting the CD inside the guest OS, then pausing SIMH, changing the disk image over, restarting the guest again and mounting the CD again.  It also seems more manageable than creating dozens of disk devices, only to run out of, or be limited by, the host's limited number of  devices as Marc has.

And, if we have a good solid interface, then there's no reason people couldn't "roll their own" guest-side program to make it as fancy, or as simple, as they need it to be.

Something for the next SIMH version perhaps ?

~~ Jason