[Simh] PDP-11 linux cross-assembler

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Fri Jul 20 06:18:02 EDT 2012

Al 20/07/12 11:17, En/na Göran Åhling ha escrit:
> Possibly, if you join and kindly ask at the HECnet list, you could
> find an existing, running, managed machine "ready to go", that would
> allow you to be a guest and do the assembly in the modern
> "cloud-computing style", ie you run the assemble the files on a
> machine located at a to you undefined place in the universe...
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually member of HECnet (Area 7, you
will be welcome to visit BITXOV (VMS) or BITXOR (RSX11M+) :). So I've
got the possibility of using RSX11M+ or RSX11M to do the stuff. I just
was trying to find a way to do it directly from the host linux machine
without having to handle the pushing and pulling of the files into and
from the simulated PDP11. I've opted to ping the Simh list because I
feel this issue is more in-topic here than in the HECnet list, where the
topic should be more related to the networking itself.

What I'm trying to do (as a summer, relaxing project ;)) is to be able
to build a very basic PDP11 kernel from scratch (oh, yeah! ;)). The
longterm plan is to offer that to an uni OS teacher friend of mine and
study if it could be an useful learning tool for students. But that's a
really long shot. The short-term goal is to have as much fun as I can :-P

(Yes, I know there are plenty of kernels around, and I plan to use them
as inspiration... )