[Simh] PDP-11 linux cross-assembler

Göran Åhling ahling at eadc.se
Fri Jul 20 05:17:51 EDT 2012

Would it be inconvenient to run Macro-11 in a PDP using SIMH to emulate
it under UNI-X?
Linker would then also be available, may I say it is rather  well proven
for the architecture ;-)

I guess RT-11 could do, but I'm convinced that RSX11-Mplus with
networking would be more easy to handle as OS of the emulator.

Sadly though, I cant point at any "Norton commander equivalent tool"
that enables one half window pointing at the file-system of the PDP and
one half window pointing at your host file system (I just dreamt about
it, never met any in real world :-(, but there is an option of using
Kermit to transfer files back and forth without the need to get
networking running (As networking would require either TCP-IP in RSX,
RSX-compatible DECnet in your favourite UNI-X or a third machine to
function as gateway, ie any machine (including a SIM-h emulated one)
running VMS would do fine.

Possibly, if you join and kindly ask at the HECnet list, you could find
an existing, running, managed machine "ready to go", that would allow
you to be a guest and do the assembly in the modern "cloud-computing
style", ie you run the assemble the files on a machine located at a to
you undefined place in the universe...

/Göran