[Simh] PDP-11 linux cross-assembler

Tim Newsham tim.newsham at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 15:43:25 EDT 2012

> What I'm trying to do (as a summer, relaxing project ;)) is to be able to
> build a very basic PDP11 kernel from scratch (oh, yeah! ;)). The longterm
> plan is to offer that to an uni OS teacher friend of mine and study if it
> could be an useful learning tool for students. But that's a really long
> shot. The short-term goal is to have as much fun as I can :-P

The short-term goal should be a cinch!

For long term goal, could be possible, but 1) its a really dated system,
2) there actually is a really really good pdp 11 kernel for study.  Check
out the Lion's commentary: http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/Lions/
It's been used in university courses before, though because the hardware
it is built on is not relevant, and because the kernel is very old,
classes usually opt for a more recent kernel to study.
(A good example is MIT moving from using v6 to using
http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2011/xv6.html)

Best of luck and happy hacking!

--
Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com