[Simh] Serial Console

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jul 3 14:16:57 EDT 2012

On 2012-07-03 19:46, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-03 18:58:15 +0200, Peter Svensson <psvsimh at psv.nu> wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Jul 2012, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>>> What about other solutions? I haven't used the simulated DZ up to now,
>>> but if I get it, it maps the serial ports to (telnet'able) IP/Port
>>> network sockets, right?
>>>
>>> If so, why not simply write a little program to configure the serial
>>> port and splice it to the network socket? Or a small script using
>>> `stty' and `nc'?
>>
>> Baud rate changes, modem control lines and so on. Break handling.
>
> Okay, you won't really get modem control lines. Baud rate changes
> won't work, too, but were they *really* used in the wild? I doubt it.

Baud rate changes were used a lot. Atleast on DEC systems. But even more
importantly, if you don't implement it, you will have to make a decision
somewhere as to what speed to use, and the terminal have to adapt to
that. This might not always be possible.

Auto baud detection. Not at all uncommon... And having different speeds
on some terminals, for whatever reason... Depends on how you generate
the system. The speeds of the terminal ports are set by the OS at boot time.

> And break handling? Right, important for a console. But for eg. simply
> using a glass terminal or a modem for PPP or something like that, that
> probably won't be much of a problem.

Depends on what software you are running. Software can detect and deal
with breaks. If you can't send them, you might be limiting yourself.

	Johnny