[Simh] Serial Console

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Tue Jul 3 14:29:08 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-03 20:16:57 +0200, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
> On 2012-07-03 19:46, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> > > Baud rate changes, modem control lines and so on. Break
> > > handling.
> >
> > Okay, you won't really get modem control lines. Baud rate changes
> > won't work, too, but were they *really* used in the wild? I doubt
> > it.
>
> Baud rate changes were used a lot. Atleast on DEC systems. But even
> more importantly, if you don't implement it, you will have to make a
> decision somewhere as to what speed to use, and the terminal have to
> adapt to that. This might not always be possible.

Are baud rate changes also *crucial* for a working system?

> > And break handling? Right, important for a console. But for eg. simply
> > using a glass terminal or a modem for PPP or something like that, that
> > probably won't be much of a problem.
>
> Depends on what software you are running. Software can detect and
> deal with breaks. If you can't send them, you might be limiting
> yourself.

Sure it limits the use case using a simple 10-line script (or like 100
lines of C code.) But on the other hand, I guess it would simply work
for almost all usual cases.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481