[Simh] Serial Console

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Tue Jul 3 13:46:14 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-03 18:58:15 +0200, Peter Svensson <psvsimh at psv.nu> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2012, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > What about other solutions? I haven't used the simulated DZ up to now,
> > but if I get it, it maps the serial ports to (telnet'able) IP/Port
> > network sockets, right?
> >
> > If so, why not simply write a little program to configure the serial
> > port and splice it to the network socket? Or a small script using
> > `stty' and `nc'?
>
> Baud rate changes, modem control lines and so on. Break handling.

Okay, you won't really get modem control lines. Baud rate changes
won't work, too, but were they *really* used in the wild? I doubt it.
And break handling? Right, important for a console. But for eg. simply
using a glass terminal or a modem for PPP or something like that, that
probably won't be much of a problem.

Other than that, one could think about the telnet interface to add
RFC2217[1] support to it as another alternative.

MfG, JBG
[1]: http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2217.txt

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:         "really soon now":      an unspecified period of time, likly to