[Simh] Extended SimH on BeagleBone controls real blinkenlight panels

Nathan Cutler presnypreklad at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 08:57:15 EDT 2012

> Im just talking about the system console. Im simulating an HP2100 system using simh and for this the system console is on the simh console. Consequently, if I attach to the host computer using serial and then run up the HP2100 system, the system console is on the serial port.

OK, yes, VMS is no different than your HP2100 in this regard. I could
get the VMS system console on the serial port using the tactic you
describe. I prefer to keep the VMS console separate from my user
session, though, so I leave the console in GUI window and use LAT to
log in from the VT terminal.

Talk about elegance and things just working - LAT is an example of
superior DEC engineering. I share Eric's sentiments 100%. I'm sure I'm
not the only one on this list who occasionally misses the good old
days.

It seems like everyone is gripped with a crazy idea that GUIs must be
used for everything. I wonder how many billions of
pick-a-random-currency have been wasted needlessly converting stable,
tested, mature text-interface applications to unstable, untested,
constantly-changing GUIs.