[Simh] Extended SimH on BeagleBone controls real blinkenlight panels

Alan Frisbie frisbie at flying-disk.com
Thu Apr 19 11:06:42 EDT 2012

> Think about your DECbox emitting true 11/750 noises, perhaps with
> some TE16 tape in the background, hehe :-)

Yes!   I want to hear my PDP-11 emitting the eek-eek sound
of an RK05 disk drive seeking or the flap-flap-flap sound of
a TU10(?) tape drive unloading.

> So, you better go ahead and digitize not only the Front Panels,
> but also the sound of the remaining hardware that is alive, or
> sythesize the sound of dead hardware and have it "proof-listened"
> by the few people knowing the hardware that still are alive as
> well ...

I was at a DECUS symposium where a guy gave very convincing
sound effects of our favorite DEC peripherals, all from his
mouth!

> And ... yes: This IS over-engineering ;-)

And your point is?   :-)

I still have an RK05 that probably still works.   I'll have
to spin it up and make some recordings.

Alan Frisbie
Los Angeles, Calif.