[Simh] Extended SimH on BeagleBone controls real blinkenlight panels

dott.Piergiorgio d' Errico dott.piergiorgio at fastwebnet.it
Fri Apr 20 10:13:07 EDT 2012

Il 20/04/2012 14:39, Armistead, Jason ha scritto:
> Why not go all the way and record video of each type of old hardware
> in action ?  Obviously this makes no sense for blinkenlights, but it
> might be fun to watch tape drives spinning back and forth (a series
> of short sequences of video for each operation), or maybe someone
> opening up a disk pack and installing platters.  Of course, this
> would require yet another interface from SIMH to the video playback
> system.

I guess that you will surely enjoy this YT link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WaYYNUCWMY

But on your idea, honestly, seems to me that FMV video sequences are a
tad overboard; we're discussing simulator design, not console RPGs
design ! ;)

> Now, if we could just "skin" our favorite terminal emulator with a
> VT-220 case around the window area, we'd be all set in our virtual
> retro-computing world !

I use Linux and of course the gnome-terminal is rigorously
green-on-black ;) and there's at least one proper font (that is, with
slashed zero and five-star * char...) albeit I *really* dislike its name
(Addolorata, whose in Italian means "doleful/sad (woman)" and I'm
Italian....)

In this context, I guess you need a good window dressing, and I'm sure
that there's more than enough tools in X environment for building
yourself the window decoration(s) you link ;)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.