[Simh] ARM simulator?

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Mon Sep 19 17:40:18 EDT 2011

On 9/19/11 2:12 PM, dott.Piergiorgio d' Errico wrote:

> well, I admit to not knowing the defining, but I can humbly ask you to point to me to the relevant documents

first occurrence of "emulator" in Datamation was Dec 1964, the term was used in the same way on System 360

"RCA says it will implement NPL for its new series of
computers when the language has been defined and the
70/45 will have a read-only memory with elementary
operations to handle programs written for its own 301,
3301 and 501, as well as IBM's 1401. What's it called
when you emulate an Emulator?"

in CACM, Dec 1965

"The Spectra 70/45 Emulator for the RCA 301"

and http://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/1401_emulator/GC27-6940-4_360_1401emul.pdf

1401/1440/1460 Emulator Programs

"emulator" does not appear earlier than this is the periodicals that I checked.

--

"simulator", on the other hand was the widely used term for a program that simulated
the operation of another system, and goes back to the earliest computers.

I would be interested in seeing a reference to industry-recognized redefinition of the term "emulator"
to define a system simulator.