[Simh] DZ and VH device oddities under RSTS/E 10.1

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 13:22:08 EDT 2011

Hello fellow SIMH users:

I'm having an odd issue running RSTS/E under the PDP-11 emulator. I'm
using the current version, with the interim corrections added. When I
have the '11 running with the VH or DZ devices, if a connection drops
and a user remains logged in, I can reconnect and be placed on the
non-logged out user's session. I am assuming that I might have to edit
the START.COM file in RSTS/E but I am unsure. The VH devices is set to
modem mode though I am unsure of whether to use DHU or DHV mode. The
DZ unit is attached for modem control and auto-disconnect (i.e.
"attach -am dz <port num>").

The START.COM file in RSTS/E 10.1 currently has - in the system config
portion - "SET SYSTEM/HANGUP=IMMEDIATE" so it's not that RSTS/E is
waiting forever for the connection loss timer to timeout, it's either
ignoring the lost connection or not getting the information from the
device. The terminal characteristics section of the START.COM file
only has the operator console and batch pseudo-device configured, none
of the other lines are set up.

Any on have any suggestions as to how to correct this behaviour?

...Also does any one have a printset for RSTS/E 10.1, as well as the
documents on how to install the layered products (specifically BP2,
MAIL and FORTRAN 77)? When I installed BASIC-PLUS 2 it installed and
ran perfectly. When I rebooted it "lost" the BP2 commands which I had
to manually re-install. Is there some way of permanently installing
the commands? (Same happened with MAIL. ...And I can't get the
FORTRAN-77 compiler to install either... mostly because I don't know
the tape label. And it won't let me mount it without the tape label.)
This isn't that high a priority.

Thanks and cheers to everyone.

-- Christian M. Gauger-Cosgrove