[Simh] need help with vax780 on linux

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 24 00:54:52 EDT 2011

I don't know what platform the DSK file was created on,
but I can read it with ods2 on linux, and it does at least partially boot.

I have not gotten anything to boot with vax780 on my linux.
simh was built on this same machine.
I will mention the vax emulator runs fine, thats the 3900 emulator I believe.
but vax780 not.
the DSK file will not work on the vax emulator as it's a vax780 image,
I get an error about "incorrect processor" it doesnt even display the version banner,
the fact the vax780 displays the banner at least suggests its reading the DSK properly.

is there a way to debug the fatal error?

again, I know its a valid vms image in that DSK because ODS2 reads it properly.
or at least that suggests its proper.

I've rebuilt SIMH in several different directory trees on this machine, and get the same results.
as for bootup, mostly I use the standard commands as some of the vax.ini don't work.
heres the INI I've been using for vax780 startup, though I normally type these in manually
and don't use the iso attach any longer.

I went through a lot of trial and error to get things working this far,
using the backup commands from the ISO boot.
vms5.2 is the oldest I have, and 6.0 is the oldest workable ISO I have for this

load -r /usr/local/vms42/ka655x.bin
;
; Attach non-volatile RAM to a file
attach nvr /usr/local/vms42/nvram.bin
;
; This virtual machine has 64M memory
set cpu 128m
;
; Define disk drive types. RA92 is largest-supported VAX drive.
set rq0 cdrom
set rq1 ra92
set rq2 ra92
set rq3 ra92
;
; Attach defined drives to local files
attach rq1 /usr/local/vms42/vms42a.dsk
attach rq2 /usr/local/vms42/vms42b.dsk
attach rq3 /usr/local/vms42/vms42c.dsk
;
; Attach the CD-ROM to its file (read-only)
attach -r ts0 /usr/local/vms42/vms42.tap
attach -r rq0 /usr/local/vms42/vms6_0.iso

Dan.