[Simh] need help with vax780 on linux

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 00:45:27 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Dan Gahlinger <dgahling at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I got a DSK file from other user which works fine on their system,
> but when I try it on my linux system I just get errors, no matter how I try
> to boot it.
>
> I don't know if this is a bug in SIMH on my linux (suse 11.3 64bit on amd
> phenom-ii quad-core)
> or something I'm doing wrong, but the most recent error is the 2nd one,
> which seems to indicate a fatal bug in simh, this is in the latest code
> version I could download of simh...
>
> sim> boot rq0
> %BOOT-F-Unable to locate BOOT fil
> HALT instruction, PC: 000004C7 (BLBS 549,4C6)
> sim>
>
> tried it this way and got -
>
> sim> boot rq0
>

>    VAX/VMS Version V4.2 24-JUN-1985 08:00
>

> **** FATAL BUG CHECK, VERSION = BJT  INVEXCEPTN, Exception while above
> ASTDEL or on interrupt stack
>
>     CURRENT PROCESS = SWAPPER
>
>     REGISTER DUMP
>
>         R0 = 00000008
>         R1 = 04080000
>         R2 = 00000000
>         R3 = 00000000
>         R4 = 80002748
>         R5 = 00000000
>         R6 = 00000000
>         R7 = 00000000
>         R8 = 00000000
>         R9 = 00000000
>         R10= 00000000
>         R11= 00000000
>         AP = 00000000
>         FP = 00000000
>         SP = 806DF3D0
>         PC = 80004862
>         PSL= 04080009
>
>     KERNEL/INTERRUPT STACK
>
>         806DF3D8  00000004
>         806DF3DC  00000000
>         806DF3E0  FFFFFFFD
>         806DF3E4  00000000
>         806DF3E8  00000000
>         806DF3EC  00000001
>         806DF3F0  00000003
>         806DF3F4  00000454
>         806DF3F8  8000A71B
>         806DF3FC  04080000
>
> Reboot requested, PC: 8063A59E (HALT)
> sim> quit

Hello!
This is a long shot, but here goes, what, ah, platform was the
original DSK file created on? That is what is their copy of SIMH for
the Vax running on?

Next why not provide for us a copy of the methods used to initialize
the emulator. From that we may be able to advise you further.

And this is extremely important, did you build your own copy of SIMH
for this release of SUSE? Or was it built originally on a different
platform?

Oh and does the program run anything else properly? Other releases of
what the DSK blob you're trying to boot here, contains. It could be
our old friend VMS, or BSD or something we've not heard of before on
that DSK and so forth.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com