[Simh] Request for PDP-10 help for DEUNA validation

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Wed Jan 26 15:08:08 EST 2011

There are DECnet-10 documents in the software notebook set, as well as some
information burried in the monitor calls manual.  However, reading the
monitor calls manual wasn't enough to program the management interfaces - I
used the DECnet arch specs and the sources :-)  Sane people used the
DEC-provided utilities.

The 10 & 20 DECnet (and LAT) implementations shared most of their code -
there was a layer that glued a JSYS or UUO interface on at the the top, and
some others for OS internals and configuration.  (The fun part was squeezing
the Phase IV code into the KS's address space without touching the common
sources...)

Aside from mimimal configuration in MONGEN, most of the management is done
using the L/NCP command subsets of OPR - yes, DECnet required GALAXY.

(The MCB configuration was another matter, but once ethernet was available,
its popularity declined.)

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.